Thursday, June 21, 2007

Quick Update

I am really sorry I haven't posted anything new in so long. Losing my job totally took the wind out of my sails. I have been so down about it I haven't done much of anything the last week. I really need to get out of this funk and get back to being productive.

I don't think I am going to try to get another job anytime soon though for a couple of reasons. First, I HATE looking for a job. With no formal education beyond high school and a 12 year lapse in a w-2 job situation no one will even give me a chance. It's so discouraging that I had given up after over a year of searching and nothing to show for it when this opportunity had come up. Well, I could get a job. I could go out today and come home with a job but I don't want to flip burgers or welcome people to Wal-Mart. I can type really well, I have a lot of customer service experience, a great phone voice, am very professional, and I learn really quickly. I may not be an expert at excel but I was learning it fairly quickly. I know MS Word and how to get around the Internet. I can file, copy, and scan with the best of them. Surely there is SOMETHING I can get a job doing.

I really don't NEED a job but I really enjoyed being out of the house and around other people again. It was really nice to have something in my life that wasn't about what to fix for dinner or where the kids need to be dropped off for whatever school thing they have going on.

I am really scared to get out there and start looking again though. I got rejected so much last year that I just don't know if I can handle it again.

The other reason is that I got my daughter's grades in the mail last Thursday and it looks like I am spending my summer tutoring her. She was a straight A student at her previous school but ever since we moved into this school district 2 years ago she has been struggling. So I went and got several workbooks and she and I have been spending 3 hours a day going over Science, US History/ Government, Algebra, and Language Arts.

Next year she is starting 9th grade and if she is going to have any hope of getting scholarships for college she is going to have to go into the new school year prepared. I don't think she is very happy about it but I hope she will be thinking me for it in 4 years.

Anyway, house stuff, not much to say. Hubby has been working on unpacking his hobby room. He collects comic books, action figures, hot wheels and who knows what all else. He hasn't had a room of his own to set all of his stuff out in since he was in the Air Force and that was 7 years ago. It was so fun watching him unpack stuff that he has forgotten he even had! LOL

I did finally get the main bathroom all painted. I think it looks really nice. I can't wait to get the ceramic tile laid but I am still anxious about taking that project on.

Then my step-dad came over Sat. and helped cut and nail the baseboards for my daughters room and she and I spent the day moving her from the guest bedroom into her room finally.

I hate not having our good computer so that I can upload pics of all the progress to the blog. I am working on a solution.

Other house news, my aunt is wanting to throw us a house warming party next month. I don't know the etiquette or even how a house warming party works. I have never even attended one before. She wanted me to register for gifts at places like Linen's and Things or Bed Bath & Beyond but I know a lot of the people I would invite to something like this would be more comfortable, budget-wise, at Wal-mart. So I compromised and registered online at Amazon.com. I was able to add stuff to the registry that I actually would like to have for as little as $2.99 but also the online oriental furniture store that I have just fallen in love with sells through Amazon.com and I was able to add all the things that I am dying to have for my formal living room to the registry as well.

I still don't know if it's even right to register for a house warming party but if it's not at least I have a good birthday/Christmas list going for my mom and mother-in-law for the next couple of years. LOL

Anyone know what the etiquette for house warming parties is? I always kind of thought the new home owner threw the party but my aunt wants to throw it for us. Honestly, I wouldn't have even thought of a house warming party if she hadn't brought it up. I really don't even care about gifts, I mostly just want to show off how much work we have put into the place so far. What I really would like to do is take my mom's camera with all the pics of the house from the moment we closed to today over and get them developed and organize them into an album for people to look at. Is that horrible? I am just so proud of all we have gotten accomplished in the last 6 weeks.

Wow, I didn't think I had much to blog about but I guess I did. Have a great day everyone!

No comments: